Bringing You Up To Speed - Round 2

After we heard the news in December, and were given the timeline of 3 weeks until next scan, we decided to do our research. Between the time that Martin had gotten his first diagnosis and now, we’ve followed just about every group there is on social media, googled every possible article about his type of Lymphoma, and had come up with just about every question we could ask so we could get the best result in his treatment.

Martin was a unique case (as always is…) he was diagnosed as a minor and treated at Doernbecher’s Children’s Hospital in Portland, OR but he still turned 18 in September, which allowed him access should he want it to adult resources based off of where my wife and I have our doctors.

We would obtain his future services from Kaiser Permanente. He would be treated like an adult, and viewed like the 18 year old young man that he was. What made us anxious and willing to work with them, was their responsiveness to our requests. What was going to take 3 weeks to get access to at Doernbecher’s… took us a matter of days because we were Kaiser members. Anyone who knows us, knows that we are impatient, so of course we wanted this beat as well - we went to Kaiser.

The first time we walked in for a consult to the Kaiser facility, it wasn’t the warm fuzzies you get when you go to a children’s hospital. It was all business. There were some REALLY sick people in the waiting room. There was some REAL treatment being handed out. This must then mean that there are some REAL results that we could obtain from this new relationship.

His new doctor seemed knowledgeable and confident. She knew what we were facing (as she’d seen it in patients before) and she earned our trust right out of the gate. I remember Martin asking for a hug as he was certain she held the keys to his full recovery.

You see, Martin is and always has been that unique case. By getting chemotherapy of any type, leaving him so open to infection, could cause us to lose his kidney, or other vital organs. Primarily we are protective of his kidney because it was a donor kidney, and if lost, we would have an even bigger problem on our hands.

After a quick meeting with the doctor, we were touring the Kaiser facility and seeing where Martin would go for Day 8 infusions. The routine was simple… 3 rounds of RICE Chemotherapy, 1 stem cell transplant, remission. The saddest part about the entire idea was that we wouldn’t be going to Denver as Martin wanted in June 2019, this now had to be put off. We were looking at a year + of work.

We scheduled our first dose of RICE chemotherapy for February 23rd.